FireandLunch Rewatches Game of Thrones - 1.6 A Golden Crown
Our cake pop rendition of the episode title…
Episode: 1.6 A Golden Crown
Overall Frey Pie Rating: Rhaegar
Episode MVP: So we’ve given this award to Harry Lloyd before, but we are going to do it again. The show is entering its fifth season, and we still miss Harry Lloyd’s presence on the show. He was always great but definitely given a chance to shine in this episode. Definitely presented Viserys perspective very well. Also, we just love how much he got into the show and the source material. (Runner-up goes to Ciaran Bermingham as Mord.)
Best (Unintentional) Comedic Moment:
Rickon Watch: Sigh… We are just going to assume he’s been living in the crypts this whole time and no one has noticed that he’s gone. He probably took some walnuts in there to survive.
Honor Before Intelligence Moments: Vardis Egan…things didn’t really work out for him..
- “There is only one god and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death - ‘not today.’”
- “Sometimes possession is an abstract concept.”
- “What happened next?”, “Is it over?” There are some moments we love Sweetrobin.
- “Make the bad man fly!”
- “Seven Hells.”
- “I don’t want someone who is brave and gentle and strong. I want him!” On honey..
- “Crown for king.”
- “He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon.”
- “I should wear the armor and you the gown.”
Rhaegar a la Mode Moments
- Ned….oh, Ned. Still worried about Dany even with all of the other crap going on between the Lannisters and you. And you had to wake up to Cersei.
- Bran and Dancer! He’s just so excited.
- Mentions of Mance Rayder!
- Theon and Robb - great scene setting up events in season 2.
- Viserys and Dany scenes - great job at showing the differences between the two (i.e., Viserys believes he is entitled to respect because of his name, Dany earns the respect of the Dothraki through her deeds). And it’s a little heartbreaking when Viserys realizes that Dany is loved.
- Vale! Mord, Tyrion, Lysa, Robin….all great.
- Renly’s face when Robert is going on and on about having sex with a lot of women is priceless. If he could roll his eyes anymore to the back of his head, you would only see the whites of his eyes.
- Stark family! Great family interactions in the scene where Ned tells them they are leaving King’s Landing. So realistic. And Sansa haters…Sansa helps the light come on in Ned’s head. Just saying.
- No Tower of Joy. They couldn’t even have Ned muttering “promise me” while waking…that would have been a simple fanservice. The ToJ sequence is one our favorite sequences in the books, so we are still bummed that it hasn’t been captured on film.
- Littlefinger characterization starts to get a little wacky here. While we appreciate the creepy, he is just not as subtle as book!Littlefinger. But instigator!Littlefinger in the throne room does amuse some of us.
- Hi Osha!
- Nice knowing you Beric #1!